Post-Graduation Work Permit
The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows international students who have graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) to continue to stay in Canada after completing their studies and work for up to three years. The PGWP is a valuable opportunity for international students who want to gain work experience and want to stay in Canada for a longer period of time.
Eligibility For the PGWP:
To be eligible for the PGWP, International Students must meet the following criteria:
- Have completed a full-time program of study at a DLI in Canada that is at least eight months long.
- Have graduated from a public post-secondary institution, a private post-secondary university that follows the same rules and regulations as a public institution or a private institution allowed to award degrees under provincial or territory regulations.
- Have maintained full-time status as a student in Canada for the entire duration of their program of study.
- Have received a transcript and an official letter from their institution indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study.
- Have applied for the PGWP within 180 days of receiving written confirmation that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study.
Application Process For the PGWP:
To apply for the PGWP, International Students must follow these steps:
- Gather Documents: Students must gather the necessary documents, including their study permit, passport, and an official transcript from their institution indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study.
- Apply for The PGWP: Students can apply for the PGWP online or by mail. They must provide their personal information, contact details, and information about their studies in Canada.
- Pay The Fee: Students must pay the application fee, which is currently CAD 255.
- Wait for a decision: Processing times for the PGWP can vary depending on the volume of applications being processed. Students can check the status of their application online.
- Receive the PGWP: If the application is approved, students will receive their PGWP by mail.
Benefits of the PGWP:
- Opportunity to Gain Canadian Work Experience: The PGWP allows students to gain valuable Canadian work experience, which can be helpful when applying for permanent residency or other immigration programs.
- Opportunity to Earn Money: Working in Canada on the PGWP allows students to earn money to support themselves and pay off student loans.
- Opportunity to Explore Canada: Working on the PGWP also allows students to explore different parts of Canada and experience Canadian culture.
In conclusion, the Post-Graduation Work Permit is a valuable opportunity for international students who want to gain Canadian work experience and potentially immigrate to Canada. Students must meet the eligibility criteria, follow the application process, and follow the conditions of the permit to take advantage of this opportunity