Federal Skilled Trade Class
The Federal Skilled Trades (FST) program is a Canadian immigration program designed for skilled tradespeople who are interested in becoming permanent residents of Canada. This program is for individuals who have the necessary experience and qualifications to succeed in Canada's labor market and fill the current labor shortages in skilled trades.
To be eligible for the FST program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Work Experience: You must have at least two years of full-time paid work experience (or an equivalent part-time experience) in a skilled trade occupation (NOC skill level B) within the last five years.
- Language Ability: You must prove your language proficiency in English or French through a language test approved by the Canadian government. You must score a minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, and CLB 4 for reading and writing.
- Education: You must have a Canadian high school diploma or equivalent foreign credential, and you must have a completed foreign credential assessment to prove that your education is equivalent to Canadian standards.
- Job Offer or Certificate of Qualification: You must have a job offer from a Canadian employer for at least one year of full-time employment, or a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial authority in Canada.
- Financial Stability: You must prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependents when you arrive in Canada. The minimum amount required depends on the number of dependents you have.
The FST application process consists of two steps:
- Express Entry Profile: The first step is to create an Express Entry profile and indicate your interest in the FST program. You will need to provide information about your work experience, language proficiency, and other details. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will be entered into a pool of candidates.
- Invitation to Apply (ITA): The second step is to wait for an ITA from the Canadian government. The government will review your profile and invite you to apply for permanent residence if you are a strong candidate. You will have 60 days to submit your application for permanent residence, and the government will process your application within six months.
The fees for the FST program are as follows:
- Processing fee: CAD 825 for the principal applicant, and CAD 825 for each dependent family member.
- Right of permanent residence fee: CAD 500 for the principal applicant, and CAD 500 for each dependent family member.
- Biometrics fee: CAD 85 per person.
The Federal Skilled Trades program is an excellent opportunity for skilled tradespeople to immigrate to Canada and become permanent residents. If you meet the eligibility requirements and are interested in applying, it is important to gather all the necessary documents and create your Express Entry profile as soon as possible.