Federal Skilled Worker Class
The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is a Canadian immigration program designed for skilled workers with foreign work experience who are interested in becoming permanent residents of Canada. This program is for individuals who have the necessary education, work experience, language proficiency, and other requirements to succeed in Canada’s labor market.
To be eligible for the FSW program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Work Experience: You must have at least one year of full-time paid work experience (or an equivalent part-time experience) in a skilled occupation (NOC skill level 0, A or B) within the last 10 years.
- Language Ability: You must prove your language proficiency in English or French through a language test approved by the Canadian government. You must score a minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four language abilities (reading, writing, speaking, and listening).
- Education: You must have a Canadian high school diploma or equivalent foreign credential, and you must have a completed foreign credential assessment to prove that your education is equivalent to Canadian standards.
- Adaptability: You must demonstrate that you are adaptable to Canadian society. Factors that may be considered include previous work or study experience in Canada, a job offer in Canada, a relative living in Canada, or proficiency in one of Canada’s official languages.
- Age: You must be at least 18 years old when you apply.
- Financial Stability: You must prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependents when you arrive in Canada. The minimum amount required depends on the number of dependents you have.
The FSW application process consists of two steps:
- Expression of Interest (EOI): The first step is to submit an EOI through the Express Entry system. You will need to provide information about your education, work experience, language proficiency, and other details. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will be entered into a pool of candidates.
- Invitation to Apply (ITA): The second step is to wait for an ITA from the Canadian government. The government will review your EOI and invite you to apply for permanent residence if you are a strong candidate. You will have 60 days to submit your application for permanent residence, and the government will process your application within six months.
The fees for the FSW program are as follows:
- Processing fee: CAD 825 for the principal applicant, and CAD 825 for each dependent family member.
- Right of permanent residence fee: CAD 500 for the principal applicant, and CAD 500 for each dependent family member.
- Biometrics fee: CAD 85 per person.
The Federal Skilled Worker program is an excellent opportunity for skilled workers to immigrate to Canada and become permanent residents. If you meet the eligibility requirements and are interested in applying, it is important to gather all the necessary documents and submit your EOI as soon as possible.